Sunday, March 2, 2008

Currents and Tides


If you've ever felt the deep swell of the ocean, you will know what goes on in my chest when struck with grief, anger, frustration, love, confusion, peace, despair. The pull, the release, the damage, the beauty, all of them responding to the pull of my heart like the waves to the pull of the moon. And all of these rooted in undercurrents too deep and hidden to be seen. As the waves seem to start from the depth and move their way up, as do the feelings that grip my body. All my experiences and emotions cultivating into a powerful wave. The wave the only visible evidence of what is going on in it's depths. Nothing I feel feels shallow. I try and fake shallow to hide the destructiveness that i surly would bring if left unretained. The weight that i would bring to conversations, to arguments. How do i open up a storm that in it's self threatens to overtake and break me? How do i trust that someone else would be able to stand after seeing this ocean? I've come to learn that most of the world does not have this reservoir within them. That they don't have the currents, the pull, the terrifying and uncontrollable driving depth to them. How then, can they understand that my words carry the weight of the tide? That when i say i am wounded, i mean it to my core. That when i say i am frightened, i shake in my depths. That when say i am angry, you can see it's dark storm behind my eyes. They are able shake off life, distract themselves with other agendas, but how do i distract the currents? How do i distract the tide?

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Wow...just, wow. That's me.

Elizabeth said...

I'm glad that you know exactly what i mean when i write something like this. In some ways, we really are very similar :)