Thursday, February 28, 2008

More on Spoons

I was thinking about the Spoon Theory article this morning as i was deciding whether I had enough "spoons" to style my hair or if i should just put in a pony tail. I went for the pony tail. I've been pushing myself too hard this week and am paying for it right now. I have to miss a friend's going away party tonight because my sleep schedule currently has me going to bed at 3pm and i don't have the energy to force myself to stay up for it. The problem is that its at my house (i live with my parents right now). I know that I'm probably over reacting, but "i need to sleep" just doesn't sound like a valid excuse to missing a friends going away party that takes seemingly no effort to attend, and while "I need to sleep because my stomach has been hurting, my muscles are achy and weak, I have no energy, my body is exhausted, my mind is foggy, and i generally feel like shit and it's all making me rather depressed right now" is valid, it just seems way to heavy to tell someone. Sigh... I know that no one will hold it against me, but still. I feel bad, and i hate that my life is ruled by this stupid condition.

However, there is hope. My Dr. prescribed me a new type of thyroid medicine at the beginning of the month, and last week i was feeling more energetic and healthy then i ever have before. Of course then i got cocky and proceeded to run my body into the ground this week, but i hope that after a few weeks of resting and being good i will begin to heal up again. I hope so, i really liked having enough spoons to go on not one, but TWO errands in the afternoon and still have enough energy to hang out with people that evening! I know, "Whoa dream big!" (said in Juno's voice), but at this point that sounds heavenly.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

I totally hear you. It's so hard to explain to people sometimes why you can't do seemingly normal things.

What kind of new thyroid medicine did your doc put you on? I've heard this can make a huge difference. Have you ever read www.stopthethyroidmadness.com?

love you girl!

Elizabeth said...

yeah, i've seen that site. It was rather helpful actually! My Dr. put me on T3 hormone replacement. He said that while i was making T3, they were all misshapen and couldn't "fit" in the T3 receptors. It's been cool. except for this last crash, i was starting to feel better there for a bit.

I'll keep you updated!

Heidi said...

That's cool. I've heard that T3 therapy can be extremely effective...much more than T4 only. I'm on Armour which has both T3 and T4 but I've wondered if I would do better on T3. I see a new doc in April and I'm going to ask her about it. Good luck with finding the optimal dose and everything! :) I really hope it makes/continues to make a difference.