Saturday, February 23, 2008

My God Gregory

For the last week or so, I've been trying to separate the messed up version of god from what he is really like (The Shack's God opposed to the God of the Bible). I went to see the movie "There Will be Blood" today, and in it there is a very grotesque scene where the Pastor of the local church is praying for healing over this older lady. I swear i have seen that scene so many times before. The congregation all tranced out and babbling in tongues, the Pastor yelling for the demon to come out. It took everything in me not to run from that theater because i knew the people with me would know exactly why i left and i didn't know how they would feel about my reaction (yeah, I'm not quite that brave yet - see my previous post for more on that). But I realized at that point, there is no way at the present for me to say the word god, and not think of everything that i hated about church and the god i learned about there. That playing on the screen before me was exactly the persona that i acquainted the word "God" with. Yahweh, Lord, I Am, even Papa, were all names given to the god of the bible. The god that i hated. I realized then that i would never be able to separate the real god from my old view of him while i was calling them the same name. It would always carry the flavor of the messed up things that i equated with the word. To me, God had become this entity with a personality that I couldn't shake, so the name God was right out. I racked my brain thinking of something i could call this new god. That i could call the Shack's god. The god that would create the wonder of nature, the depth of the ocean, the beautiful pale blue light that pours from a full moon, a god who would trade his life because he loved me. And the only name that popped into my head, the name that i couldn't shake after it had been presented was, Gregory. That's right, my god Gregory. I think i laughed out loud when i thought of it. I had this entity, this blank canvas on which to find and paint a new picture of what god was really like, and i named it Gregory. I named him Gregory. I tried to find something more holy, Father, Papa, Jesus (who i still kind of liked, so that name was taken), the "I Am"... nope. nothing fit like Gregory did. I've never known a Gregory. I don't have any preconceived notions as to what his personality would be like. And now, it just feels like I'm on this journey, this quest to find out what Gregory is like. And now, for some reason, when people talk about god, i can separate the two and figure out if they are talking about the old god, or Gregory. And you know what, I think i really like Greg.

I don't know where this is going to end up. I don't know if it's good, or right, or will lead me straight into heresy and another messed up view about who god is, but honestly, i think it's the first time in a very long while that i have been able to think about god and smile. So maybe that's worth something.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I like it! Kind of makes Him more personal, more real.

Anonymous said...

That's really cool. :)

Dena G said...

Hi, Elizabeth. I found your blog through your comment on NakedPastor. I've read a few of your recent posts...just wanted to tell you they resonate with me.

I'm also a leaver of an abusive church--I was branded as practicing witchcraft because I "dared" to disagree with the pastor (I touched the "anointed"--OMG!!) It was a long time ago and the rage and hatred and cyncism and bitterness have dissipated over time, but I can tell you it took a LONG time to heal from those deep wounds. There are still people from my former church who turn the other way in the grocery store aisle if they see me coming, because they were instructed to have nothing to do with me.

Words of unsolicited advice from a stranger: Don't let anyone try to minimize your feelings. Spiritual abuse is a DEEP betrayal...the worst kind of rape. Real recovery won't be achieved by sweeping your experience under the rug, nor can it be achieved overnight. But it's possible. You have to go through a lot of shit to get there, though.

My heart aches for you.

Kelly Sauer said...

Elizabeth,

I read this post about a week ago, and something came to mind that hasn't gone away, so I thought I'd post it for you.

When I saw that it was the name "Gregory" that came to your mind to call God, I looked up the name to see that it means "watchful." The meaning brought a story to mind, about a woman who had been cast out by God's chosen. She wept with despair, alone, friendless, forsaken. God introduced Himself to Hagar as "the God who sees." And then He cared for her.

What has been done, He has seen. The depth of your wound, He has seen.

I think "Gregory" is very appropriate.